kudzu won't update modprobe.conf

lupus de_lupus at pandora.be
Tue Nov 25 12:41:23 UTC 2003

I Quote man page kudzu:

When started, kudzu detects the current hardware, and checks it against
a  database  stored  in  /etc/sysconfig/hwconf,  if one exists.

Only when no  previous  database  exists,  kudzu  attempts  to determine
what  devices have already been configured, by looking at
/etc/modules.conf, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, and
/etc/X11/XF86Config.

I install fedora core 1 with kernel 2.4.22 kudzu will generate
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf and find new hardware. Edits /etc/modules.conf.

When I install kernel 2.6 and start fedora core 1 kudzu will compare
hwconf against his probing and won't find new hardware. So
/etc/modprobe.conf won't get edited. But kernel 2.6 uses
/etc/modprobe.conf instead of /etc/modules.conf.

So my proposal is to generate hwconf when booting 2.4 and hwconf26 with
2.6. So kudzu will chance /etc/modprobe.conf when hwconf26 has changed
or does not exist.

Kristof Vansant