Since Fedora is not aimed at enterpise/business ..

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Wed Oct 1 20:32:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 07:59, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 09:54, Bill Anderson wrote:
> > Does this mean we can now stop requiring kerberos in everything that can
> > have it required? I submit that the vast majority of Fedora target
> > "market"will not ever need krb in Fedora. Can we please make this
> > change? In the past the answer has always been "well enterprises and
> > medium sized businesses may need it". Well, they can buy RHEL now.
> >
> > Please let Fedora Core return to the non
> > massive-network-might-need-any-and-all-auth-options-so-we-build-them-all-in days.
>
> I'd like to offer that universities, in many cases, will not be able to
> afford RHEL and we do use and need kerberos.

>From the "what are going to do" "RH is abandoning us" posts from the edu
peopel on these lists, I'd submit that their claims of "Fedora revs too
quickly, we need something long term" is is apparently not being
perceived as an option anyway. How much is Fedora really going to be an
option if a few releases a year and 7-10 months maintenance way too
short?

Mind you, that's just from the posts of the people on here, but since
nobody is posting how they are happy that they will "have to deal with"
upgrading their boxen so many times a year, I'd say at this point it's a
fairly reasonable judgement of opinion.

> Not only that but if the packages from fedora find their way into rhel
> then the kerberos stuff will need to be there.

Somehow I doubt they'll be merely copied over. If RH is not committed to
doing that level of testing/debug/work on those packages in Fedora,
they'll have to do it for the packages in RHEL. Makes sense to me
anyway. So I see this as a non-issue.

> It's shortsighted to not compile in kerberos and ldap support wherever
> possible.

Sure, because we all know that all of us enthusiasts and hobbyists have
fifty-machine networks in our homes that we are running these things on.

I'd say Kerberos is a lot less prevalent than one would expect from
reading what happens when someone suggest we not make everything depend
on it. I've been an admin at HP, overseeing thousands and thousands of
HPUX and Linux machines. No Kerberos whatsoever. In fact, of the dozens
of companies, dozens of no-profs, and hundreds of people I've been
involved with on a Linux level, not a single one of them is using
Kerberos, or has any positive response in favor of doing that.

Is Fedora a business-level distribution or not? If it is, then fine,
leave it in. But if it isn't, let us at least be honest about how few
people at home and small/medium organizations are using it and
reconsider our fascination and dedication to it.
--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773
bill at noreboots.com