Since Fedora is not aimed at enterpise/business ..

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Oct 1 21:29:51 UTC 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Bill Anderson wrote:

> Sure, because we all know that all of us enthusiasts and hobbyists have
> fifty-machine networks in our homes that we are running these things on.

My home network is 8 boxes, and I use them there. Things like centralized
address books are nice even on smaller networks.

> I'd say Kerberos is a lot less prevalent than one would expect from
> reading what happens when someone suggest we not make everything depend
> on it. I've been an admin at HP, overseeing thousands and thousands of
> HPUX and Linux machines. No Kerberos whatsoever. In fact, of the dozens
> of companies, dozens of no-profs, and hundreds of people I've been
> involved with on a Linux level, not a single one of them is using
> Kerberos, or has any positive response in favor of doing that.

Just because you don't encounter it in your experience doesn't mean its not
widely used. As a counter-example, every organization I've ever worked for
in the past decade now uses Kerberos to some extent. Heck, even my bank uses
Kerberos (though they had to get MS to supply a custom build of 2000 for the
AD realm once they got cross-realm authentication with their Unix realm
going ;-)

The bottom line, at least for me, is that removing it would inconvenience a
lot of users who either now use it or might use it in the future, for very
little gain

later,
chris