Kind request: fix your packages

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 14:22:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 08:11, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le sam 04/10/2003 à 12:54, Otto Haliburton a écrit :
>

> > here's m .02 cents.  The user shouldn't have to worry about how, what, or
> > why it works or doesn't work.  The object of good development is that it
> > "all ways work".  So what does that mean?  It means that all packages should
> > contain everything necessary for that instant to work now matter what
> > happened before it arrives.  When you obtain a package freely or pay for it,
> > you don't need to dig up everything else that will require that package to
> > work.  We developers like to troubleshoot, but it a waste of time and effort
> > to troubleshoot the needs and intentions of another developer.  That's my
> > opinion and I'm stuck with it.
>
> Dear user,
>
> 	As we all know you're dumb and you can not learn to use a package
> manager ever. To ease your pain we've decided not to inflict you the
> so-called "dependency hell" and provide you an autonomous application.
> Just click on its auto-update menu and it will download everything you
> need, we swear it.
>
> 	Of course when you've done you'll just have to do a cpan refresh, tell
> xemacs to auto-update itself, your movie player to download new codecs,
> mozilla to download a langage pack and a few themes and by the way did
> you know about this wonderful openoffice macro that will help you update
> your spellchecker ?
>
> 	To help you keep up with updates we've thoughtfully provided a "time to
> update" popup that will remind you every few weeks you need to keep up
> with us. To avoid any misunderstanding we designed it to be completely
> different from the swarm of update popups you deal with every day.
>
> 	Since another application might update some libraries we depend on at
> an inconvenient time, we've provided you with a private copy of all the
> dependencies we need. You can be sure no one will mess with their
> configuration files or change their format, since we also use a private
> copy of these files. God forbid it was trampled on by one of those nasty
> control panel thingies ! The system has no business telling us what
> fonts to use.
>
> 	We swear we'll keep up with security fixes for all this peripheral
> uninteresting stuff, at least as long as it doesn't interfere with our
> application wellbeing but you won't mind because we know best and you
> trust us. To avoid migration breakage we even use different
> configuration files for each version. You just have to re-enter the few
> scores of options our app use and you're done ! No risk of automated
> conversion mess-up whatsoever ! The app will even refuse to start till
> you've filled the four screens of configuration to prevent mess-ups !
>
> 	You might need to get yourself a new disk of pay for a broadband link,
> but that's truly trivial and you should thank us to help you keep with
> your times. We're pleased to inform you we're working on a bootable
> [...]

So what's the problem.  The developer wants his product used.  If you
don't fix your software/hardware/programs the user will rebel and not
update it at all, then where's your problem.  The user instinct is not
to make changes cause "it works for what I want it to do",  It may not
be the best or have all the functions I want but if I got to go trouble
shoot all the problems then f__ it!!!!!!