laptop_mode (was: rawhide report: 20031004 changes)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 14:50:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 04:35:27PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
 > On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 05:48:38AM -0400, Build System wrote:
 > > kernel-2.4.22-1.2086.nptl
 > > * Fri Oct 03 2003 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > >
 > > - Disable laptop_mode
 >
 > Why was the laptop_mode turned off? Is it causing trouble?

An experiment. There's been a number of reports of data corruption,
(strangely all from users of Quantum Fireballs). The plan was to
get the IDE code as close to mainline as possible for a while to try
and shake this out. Then Al Viro noted that he sees something similar
on mainline kernels. *sigh*. Though its unclear right now if its
just coincidence that Al is also running a Fireball, and might be
hitting a different bug to what everyone else is seeing.

So far theres not been much feedback from the folks reporting the
bug on whether removing the laptopmode/AAM patches have made a
difference other than "looks good so far".

If things go to plan, we'll either know that laptopmode isn't
safe on Fireballs, and maybe blacklist it, or if the problem reoccurs
with laptopmode removed, it's safe to go back in.

 > Will it come back before cambridge?

Maybe. As of right now, it's not looking like it'll make it back in
for test3, but hopefully it'll be back for GA.

See bugzilla #101357 and #91932 for highlights..
Additionally, if anyone else has been seeing anything odd on Quantum
hard disks, adding "Me too's" to these bugs would be good.

Folks using fireballs without any issues whatsoever, I'd like
to hear from too. (Send mail, instead of cluttering bugzilla though).

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk