Re: Spec file macro tricks

Nathan G. Grennan wrote:

What is more inherently flawed is putting the distribution version in in the release in the first place. This wasn't my decision. In that case I am just following the fedora.us guidelines.

In theory I would agree with you, but in reality we had no better solution. We simply cannot have a situation with two binary packages with the exact same filename but compiled for different distributions (without resorting to epoch. =)

Even if an automated package tool is bound to a specific repository, it would have no way of comparing EVR and doing an upgrade to the new distribution's package.

We *need* a sane way of doing distrel tags within the package name, or add another field to the RPM database... which would introduce even more legacy problems.

Warren