Graphical boot issues: a.o. graphical boot twice slower then text boot!!!

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 02:19:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 20:22, Owen Taylor wrote:

> So, I tried:
>
>  - Boot into runlevel 1. Run rhgb.
>    Run rhgb. 22 seconds from X => on screen
>  - Remove all network services and xfs from runlevel 3.
>    Run rhgb. 8 seconds from X => on screen
>  - Remove *all* services from runlevel 3 (syslog and all)
>    Run rhgb. 8 seconds from X => on screen
>
> So, the evidence at this point is that with *more* services in
> runlevel 1 then in runlevel 3, starting in runlevel 1 takes 10+
> seconds extra.
>
> In fact, I can use 'telinit' to switch between the two levels
> and observe this.
>
> So, now I need to figure out what is different between runlevel 1
> and runlevel 3 other than the services running.

OK, tracked things down. Basically the xfs init script and
fc-cache are both making each other think that the font information
in fonts.dir and fonts.cache-1 files are out of date, so
all the users have to create their own fonts cache in
$HOME/.fonts-cache-1.

rhgb is getting run without $HOME set, so it can't even look
in /root/.fonts.cache-1.

I think we can fix up the xfs init script and address the problem;
should also make user logins work better, especially in
NFS homedir situations.

Regards,
					Owen