bugzilla & triage : Re: up2date failing dependencies window too big!!!

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 07:14:43 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 08:22, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:04, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >

> > > Unfortunately there are too many bugs in bugzilla that never get
> > > fixed.  Any way to open things a bit more so that we dumb users
> > > can fix trivial things?  Submitting patches is one step toward
> > > that.  Maybe bugzilla should send list of inactive open bugs to
> > > the list every night :D
> >
> > Well, there is talk of setting up more external CVS repositories so
> > outside developers can get better access.   But still, "dumb users" who
> > aren't developers should use Bugzilla to report the problems.  It's the
> > only way things can be tracked and remembered.
>
> What is the procedure for becoming a developer then?

Since the whole external setup isn't done yet its not possible for
external contributors to be owners of a package at the moment. However,
you don't have to do anything at all to be a developer. If you find a
bug and want to fix it, just download the code, build it, hack on it,
when you're done generate a patch and stick that in bugzilla.  If the
bug owner doesn't respond after a while sending an email to ping him
about it could be nice, some people do get an awful lot of bugzilla
email and can easily miss something. (Don't flood developers with emails
though.)

This isn't much different from any other free software project. I do the
same thing as the Nautilus maintainer.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a world-famous zombie sorceror searching for his wife's true killer.
She's a chain-smoking foul-mouthed opera singer who believes she is the
reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!