Re: artwork project

Garrett LeSage wrote:
Thomas Dodd wrote:
You might find a copy of Corel's PhotoPAINT! somewhere.
Not too bad.

I have a copy of it. I don't use it. I suggest that no one else does. It's a dead ex-product.

Only the linux version is dead. I've used newer versions in wine. TYhe latest don't work yet though.
When linux starts making inroads, I expect it'll come back. Look at the high end animation stuff starting to show up.

It came with my copy of CorelDraw! for Linux -- I happened to be on the beta team a number of years back, so I have a few beta copies as well as the final released product.

I still have the 1st beta. Didn't find enough new bugs for the later ones:(

CorelDraw! and PhotoPaint! are both programs which are:
   * proprietary

So is every other commercial app. How many non-proprietary apps are out there for Windows or MacOS?

   * made to run under a hacked version of Wine (they don't use
     winelib, as promised way-back-when)

I beleive it was a timing thing. First get it working with wine, then switch to winelib later. Problem was lack of sales. So the whole project was killed.

Whay UI are you comparing it too?
Any other UI. (:
Have you used Photoshop on the Mac?
Yes. I am also familiar with most other DTP apps on the Mac as well, including Illustrator, FreeHand, and Quark.

So the multiple windows that the GIMP uses are not new to you. It's better than one big window like Windows typically uses.

Many *nix /X applications?
Yes, I've been using Linux since 1995 and also the GIMP since before the

Not linux. Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and Irix. The high end commercial stuff.

1.0 series. I first toyed around with the GIMP back in the Motif days, but Lesstif wasn't up to snuff, so most people (myself included) had to use the binary build as building from source wasn't an option. (Motif was EXPENSIVE, especially for a poor college student.) When the first

I bought the Red Hat branded CDE, circa 98. Also tried a later, version after RH dropped it
You should try Cadence tools, or SmarTest for HP-UX for some real interesting UI's.
I ment interestin, as in poor. I have to work with them. They use multiple windows with no or partial app windows. SmarTest is the worst. It's motif, but doesn't follow any standard UI. Text defaults to overwrite mode, no cut or paste, and the app window doesn't access everything and still takes 2 pages.

Check out GeoPak (screenshots and documentation @

What is it about high-end apps that makes them have hard to use, non-intuitive interfaces?

Do you have a solution for the nested menus? One long menu doesn't work.

Place the menu bar at the top instead of contextual (which adds one extra level of menus), only go down one sublevel (two at the very most, but rarely, if ever), weed out useless menu items, arrange everything in a more sensible fashion.

Do you want each image window to have a seperat menu, or a single app window, like MacOS has? What are the "useless menu items"? They were added for some reason. Maybe you don't use them, but somebody does.

How about a mockup of what you want? Have you talked with the developers about it? Did they give reasons form not changing?

The GIMP's interface is a result of copying Photoshop's general look. On the Mac, Photoshop works great. On Windows, Photoshop is in MDI,

Exactly. MDI is not the way to go.

which is hideous. On Linux, since no tool bar exists on the top of the screen and MDI is a bad thing (and isn't really supported well), the GIMP has windows all over the place. The best way to cope with this is

Push for a standardized app/tool bar then. Only if it's standardized will other multi window apps use it. Even then it will take time for it to become accepted. How many people use the top bar in GNOME? I don't yet. Reminds me too much of KDE. :) FIrst thing I did when it first showed up is turn it off and relocate the item they moved to it.

Perhaps it could be used as you tool bar? An app starts it if it's missing, and when no more apps are using it it goes away:)

to either have application windows (which some apps are starting to do) or to manage different applications on separate virtual workspaces (which is what most people who use the GIMP actually do).

Thay's what I do with SmarTest and the Cadence tools :) Works better with GNOME than CDE though. Wish I could get GNOME to work on HP-UX. :(

-Thomas