GCC-3.3 and OO.org

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 21:15:28 UTC 2003

Hi,

It is not possible to compile the java bits of OOo right now with a
non-Sun Java solution.  Kaffe is the closes some have gotten (Debian
project) but there are still major issues with it.  Compiling OOo with
gcj would require major patching because gcj is not set up like the Sun
JDK, which OOo expects to find.

At this point, I don't have the resources nor the time to make building
with either Kaffe or gcj a priority.  There is ongoing work in this area
however.

As you suggest, the alternative would be to allow individuals to compile
with Java support, using the Red Hat SRPM.  This should not be too hard
to do, provided the Sun JDK is in its standard place.  I expect a simple
variable switch at the beginning of the specfile would be all that a
user would need to set to compile with Java support in OOo.  That I
could do in the near future.

Dan