Fedora and RedHat's autism toward personal users

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Oct 13 19:29:52 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 October 2003 04:25 pm, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> Not necessarily.  I was thinking in the web servers in an old Debian.
> There were six of them: -Apache of course.   -Boa because it was
> faster than Apache -Another one whose main merit was to be zero conf
> And three other ones I don't remember but who had no particular merit
> (one of them being the obsolete NCSA server).  I don't doubt they have
> more than six by now

One would have been AOLserver, which has a very good niche in the form of the
OpenACS community system.  AOLserver is a quite wonderful piece of
multithreaded code (and has been since 1995).  www.aolserver.com.  It is much
more lightweight than Apache, and for simple things or complex things is very
fast.  Embedded Tcl scripts in the web page is the norm; the config file is
full tcl code and can include arbitrary tcl scripts.  It's database
connection capabilities are state of the art: true pooled connections allow
you to serve many concurrent hits without connection startup penalties for
each hit.  Quite a piece of work.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology