Retain upgrade paths (was: /etc/redhat-release?)

Thomas Bendler ml at bendler-net.de
Mon Oct 13 20:09:46 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Mi, 24 Sep 2003, Bill Nottingham sent incredible lines:
[...]
> Such a script can be *easily* modifed to work with Fedora Core
> in this case. It can key off of:
>
> a) 'Fedora Core' in /etc/redhat-release
> b) the presence of /etc/fedora-release
> c) the fact that fedora-release provides /etc/redhat-release
[...]

why not /etc/release??

Fedora/Red Hat is part of the content of /etc/redhat-release. So I
don't see the sense of this construct but I see an advantage of
/etc/release if other distros will follow your this approach.

... may the Tux be with you! =Thomas=
Thomas Bendler           \\://                      ml at bendler-net.de
Mettlerkampsweg 21       (o -)             http://www.bendler-net.de/
20535 Hamburg      ---ooO-(_)-Ooo---          tel.: 0 177 - 277 37 61
Germany                                    Linux, enjoy the ride ...!