Re: Suggestions for the Installer (regarding network installs)

Jeremy Katz wrote:
Unfortunately, this release is probably the last where floppies have any
relevance.  From 2.6 kernels so far, I really don't see how we're going
to be able to continue to have boot disks after moving to a 2.6 kernel.

This will be painful. I have been setting up boxes with no CD and doing net installs from a floppy for a long time now. I like the idea of a USB boot into a network install but I suspect some of the older boxes (4-500Mhz Era) will not boot from USB.

I picked up a USB keychain drive to do testing but never got it to the point where I could boot off of it. Does anybody know of a recipe or howto for doing such a thing, particularly for booting into a RedHat/Fedora network install.

Alternatively, is there some way to create a floppy that would pull a boot image over the network? It would have to have a selection of network drivers. I have never looked into boot ROMs for NICs. That sounds like overkill just to launch an install.

Bryan White