Re: Suggestions for the Installer (regarding network installs)

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 04:13, Bryan White wrote:
> I have never looked into boot ROMs for NICs.  That
> sounds like overkill just to launch an install.

Actually it's not at all.  Network booting provides a very fast and
efficient method of starting an installation.  Just a simple DHCP
request, followed by a tftp connection to pull down a kenrel/initrd
image provided on the first installation CD, and you're set.  We use
syslinux as the boot loader, so we can have a nice kickstart menu where
the installation techs just pick the type of system that they're
installing and the kickstart will automagically start.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: