Question about kernel updates

I saw this changelog in the rawhide build file of today.

kernel-2.4.22-1.2096.nptl ------------------------- * Tue Oct 14 2003 Dave Jones <davej redhat com>

- More merges from 2.4.23pre

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm just curious: why does RedHat (and also other distro providers) do this? Why don't they just ship the official 2.4.22 kernel and just wait until the 2.4.23 kernel gets released?
It's probably due to the fact that the RedHat Linux kernel is a modified version (a fork) of the official kernel. But is this forking/merging worth the effort? It takes quite some time to do all this and also there is a possibility to introduce extra bugs.

Wouldn't it be better for RedHat if RedHat just sends the patches to Linus and company, and just accept the fact that they maybe don't accepted?

Thanks

Jaap