Repository feature proposal

Sun Oct 19 15:34:56 UTC 2003

Le dim 19/10/2003 à 14:49, Daniel Veillard a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 08:23:40AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Now, my idea is to create some sort of file format describing the
> > > repository, that can be "imported" by the software management program
> > > (up2date/r-c-packages). That way, you can publish one such repository
> > > description file on your website, that users download an import (or even
> > > open directly from in the browser),  and then all your software can be
> > > accessed from the same management tool. Perhaps one could create
> > > "repository rpms", similar to how public GPG keys are imported and
> > > stored in the rpm db?
> >
> > An "application/x-yum-repository" file format which mozilla knew how to
> > feed to a simple app would certainly be nice.
> >
> > You'd still need a simple management tool as you say - so people can remove
> > them, but "click here to add Nethack" is a nice interface 8)
>
>   May I suggest using an XML file format [1] ? In that case adding
> a "+xml" suffix to the Mime-Type is a good idea (c.f. RFC 3023).
> There is also some work on-going to define XML description of packages.

Really the on-disk format should be an xml file per repository in a
foo.d directory that is scanned by the package manager on startup.

Life is so much easier when you don't have to share a single file.

This repository descriptor could contain the name and description of the
repository (maybe in several languages) and the full list of mirrors
urls, maybe even en embedded list of gpg keys the repository rpms are
supposed to be signed with.

The repository manager would just then ping all the mirrors on the list,
get the "best" one (closest/more up-to date) and check that the
downloaded packages match the declared keys.

Removing a repository would then just consist in rm-ing the repository
descriptor.

This is more or less how fedora.us handles the macromedia plugin
repository, except the descriptor format is not too nice and apt
requires several files per repository (urls, vendor keys, etc)

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot