Static Libraries

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 21:00, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 21:01, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> > Many GNOME CVS trees require a script called gnome-autogen.sh to build
> > their configure scripts and such.  Mandrake and Debian provide
> > gnome-autogen.sh within their gnome-common package but it seems missing
> > from Red Hat/Fedora.
>
> If you're building GNOME bits from CVS, is it too much to think that you
> should expect to build gnome-common from CVS as well?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy

In a somewhat related note about building gnome stuff from cvs - why
does redhat not include static libraries? is there a good reason not to
that I am completely unaware of (space, compatability or something like
that)? Or are the .la files hidden in some obscure directory? Most
builds don't seem to require static libraries, but some things do. I end
up having to build a gtk srpm and linking the .la's from the
redhat/BUILD/gtk* dir to /usr/lib to build stuff.

Is their anyway redhat/fedora could start providing -static packages
(like -devel or -debuginfo)?

--Matt