Re: Run prelink and other stuff not in cron but when screensaveris active.

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:26:55PM +0100, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:

I sometime get a bit frustrated that a cron job starts while I'm working. Wouldn't it be nicer that this stuff would run when I'm not doing any work. I.e. when the screensaver is active. Maybe as a minor enhancement when the screensaver is active and there is not a process asking for cpu power /disk access. Sometimes I'm running compiling jobs which take quite a while.

Several things.

1. anacron(8)
2. batch(1)
3. nice(1) and renice(8)
4. xscreensaver-command(1)

With some combination of these, it is not too difficult to roll
a (sub-optimal) solution using nothing more than scripting.

true. This reminds me, that it's seriously annoying that xscreensaver runs for vnc sessions. Seems like an easy fix.

Pádraig.