Infrastructure job...

Pau Aliagas linuxnow at newtral.org
Fri Oct 31 09:05:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 law at redhat.com wrote:

> What I want to see is the ability to sandbox developers.  Hell, whatever
> we end up using for Fedora may be useful for the GCC project since we're
> branch-happy these days :-)

Have you tried arch?
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnu-arch/

It's very difficult to summarize in a few words all it can do, but
basically:

-you don't deal with patches of every file, you have patchsets that
 include whole sets of changes
-it handles renames
-you can have your own repository locally without any special server
-you can easyly branch projects and merge back and forth among
 branches with conflict
 resolution
-branching is cheap, immediate
-developement style encourages creating branches for features
-development isenouraed because worknig in one's own branch freely,
 without taboos, conflicts and problems let's you concentrate in what you
 really want to do. And you know htat getting your work upstreamed will be
 only a matter of telling the owners of the project to pick up your
 patchsets (or sending them in patch format that i'ts also possible)
-it's written in C and very fast
-savannah.gnu.org will offer arch hosting too

I don't want to make you lose more time. If you feel like it could fit
your needs, that CVS is a bit limited, just try it. Or if you have any
questions, just let me know :)

Pau