Re: How to package execute-on-stack programs?

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:46:04AM +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Thanks. Have I to do this for every source-file, or just once for each
> binary?  What is with the '-z execstack' option for ld?

That's yet another way.  You'd use the assembler method if
you were going to be creating a library archive and didn't
know if the object requiring execstack was going to be
included or not.

The linker switch overrides everything that may have been
stored in the object files.

> Have I to be carefully when executing 'strip -R.note' on such binaries?

Not the linked binary.  We create a PT_GNU_STACK header
that the kernel is to use.  You can't strip that.

r~