CD burning with Nautilus, was: Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 02:44:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 16:31, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 15:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > So the design process is a way to try to work through these issues
> > methodically.
>
> I don't think we have the resources for "real" (formal) UI tests, e.g.
> coding all scenarios and let loose a huge number of ordinary people on
> them to see which scenario pleases most of them. Asking people what they
> think is the next best thing to it, as long as you ask the right people
> ("Programmers are not users. Vice presidents are not users." and all
> that).

User testing is something you do once you have a design to try out. What
I'm talking about is a process for developing the design in the first
place. ;-) This isn't just a matter of guessing, it's a matter of
identifying users, identifying goals and tasks,
prioritizing/categorizing those, developing a user model for the app,
laying out your widgets in a way that reflects the user model and the
priority of the tasks they facilitate, and so forth.

Discussed in "Inmates are Running the Asylum," "Designing From Both
Sides of the Screen", etc.

> You need code knowing about all the coloured books stuff (e.g. to
> produce mixed mode CDs) and you need code that knows about music files
> to display their properties/length and of course code that is aware that
> a music file can be burned as a "literal" ogg/vorbis file or as a CD
> audio track and asking the user what shall be done with it. I know where
> to put the first (CD burning app/lib/component) and the second one (end
> user app), but I'm not quite sure where I'd want to put this "glue
> code".
>
> Any ideas?

I think it's probably just a little app that gets run for the ogg MIME
handler. Maybe that wouldn't work though.

Havoc