Kernel eating memory, ends up trashing

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Sep 17 02:25:21 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > Definately looks like a memory leak.
>
> Would it help if I say I have a feeling it happens when running out of
> physical memory ? Or when allocating/using a lot of memory in a short
> timespan and releasing it under this condition.

This output is generated while it was trashing heavily:

	[root at breeg root]# cat /proc/meminfo
	        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
	Mem:  63156224 62545920   610304        0   733184  6836224
	Swap: 468824064 21938176 446885888
	MemTotal:        61676 kB
	MemFree:           596 kB
	MemShared:           0 kB
	Buffers:           716 kB
	Cached:           4704 kB
	SwapCached:       1972 kB
	Active:           4912 kB
	ActiveAnon:       3728 kB
	ActiveCache:      1184 kB
	Inact_dirty:      1104 kB
	Inact_laundry:     528 kB
	Inact_clean:       964 kB
	Inact_target:     1500 kB
	HighTotal:           0 kB
	HighFree:            0 kB
	LowTotal:        61676 kB
	LowFree:           596 kB
	SwapTotal:      457836 kB
	SwapFree:       436412 kB

Is there anything I can try to help you find the cause ? This machine has
only ext3 and jbd loaded (that match other machines with the same
problems).