Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Devrim GUNDUZ devrim at gunduz.org
Mon Sep 22 17:44:28 UTC 2003

Hi,
On 22 Sep 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> There is no Red Hat Linux 10. There's the Fedora Project, with Fedora
> Core that contains a base Linux distribution; this is an open source
> project. Then there is Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is a product of
> Red Hat, Inc. RHEL  has various versions (WS, ES, AS) for different
> applications.

That sound really bad :-(

> Red Hat will be doing a lot of development and other work on the Fedora
> Project, but it's not a product that you can buy from us. We're working
> on the Fedora Project in the same way that we work on other projects
> such as Mozilla or the Linux kernel.

<snip>

So, people will use "Fedora" on desktops and some servers. It'll be
available on internet, right?

> >  Why will Red Hat will "not" support Fedora Core?
>
> You probably want to be clear about what "support" means to you.
> Which row of the above table. Then we can answer your question better.

Well, I'd like to see RH 9 on that table to  find out the best comparison.

"Downloads" : What does "source and binaries" mean? I hope there will be
an installer ;)

What about updates? Will they be available from RHN? Who will maintain the
packages? Recalling the openssh bug: Let's say I'm the maintainer of
OpenSSH RPMS. I'm on holiday and a bug was released. Who will be
responsible for that unclosed bug?  So, shall we avoid using fedora on
servers?

I do not really care telephone "support" from Red Hat. I've been using
only Red Hat since I've first met with Linux (Red Hat 6.1) and never
needed a telephone/e-mail support. The reason I'm now offering Red Hat is
the power I feel behind me, "Red Hat" name. Now, that power is lost. RHL
is dead. Red Hat says "Fedora is a thing like Mozilla, Linux Kernel,
etc.". I myself expected much more from that. Was that so simple?

Anyway, let me relax and see what will happen. Maybe Fedora will be an
excellent distribution; but I'm in doubt now.

BTW, who are Fedora? Are they a company? (I could not find something from
www.fedora.us/index-main.html). What if they will give up this project?

I'll always prefer RH Enterprise Linux for very big projects, but I'm
really confused about using RH on desktop and small servers.

Regards and best wishes,
- --
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim at gunduz.org				devrim.gunduz at linux.org.tr