redhat logo on gnome menu / menu bar.

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Sat Sep 27 19:15:38 UTC 2003

(snip)

> Though I don't think KDE supports a rectangle with text so it introduces
> a consistency problem if we do that. Also if using a rectangle we'd
> probably want the half-height panel.

Why would it introduce a consistency problem ? If I agree that some
people might use QT (or KDE) apps along with GTK (or GNOME) apps, I
don't see why anyone would want to go from KDE to GNOME and vice-versa
(except testers and hobbyists, who don't really care about those details
anyway IMHO).

So KDE users will be used to the KDE icon and GNOME users to the "Main
menu" text field.

> Two observations about Longhorn (next-gen windows):
>
>  - the panel is on the side, so you have more vertical space for
>    documents (though I'm not sure where the window list lives)

Are you sure ? From the screenshots I have seen and what I have read,
the panel is on the bottom (like in other windows versions) but you can
- optionally - have a vertical panel on the right side which mostly
handles additional stuff (like a special clock, a slide show etc...).

(snip)