Showstopper in the RPM submission procesdure

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Sep 29 06:59:08 UTC 2003

Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi>:
> I don't think there is an official "RPM submission procedure" yet.  The
> unofficial (only!) one is to send mails to Red Hat folks, or add a bug in
> Bugzilla.
>
> But I think the final one will be much, much better .. once we get there.
> :-)

Indeed it will, because I'm already on the problem :-)  I am stepping up with
an offer to write, document, and maintain the client software for doing
package submissions.

I had a long IRC chat with some key Bugzilla developers this afternoon.
The conclusion of the chat was that Bugzilla ought to have an XML-RPC
interface for posting bugs.  But, pending that, Christian Reis gave me
a scratch Python script for submitting bugs via scripted CGI that I
am in the process of reworking into a production-quality tool.  It can be
used with Bugzilla as it is now.  It's called `bug-bugzilla'.

Once I get bug-bugzilla done, I'll write a thin wrapper around it called
`fedora-submit' for submitting RPMS through Fedora Bugzilla.  If your
channel for RPM submissions changes, I will modify fedora-submit
accordingly.  Someday it might be an XML-RPC client, but users
need not care.

Fedora can ship both scripts as RPMs, fedora-submit will depend on
bug-bugzilla until and unless that changes, and everybody should be
happy.  Including the Bugzilla people, who have had people clamoring
for a production-quality tool of this kind forever.

Does this sound like a good plan?