redhat logo on gnome menu / menu bar.

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Sep 29 13:55:59 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 23:26, Trae McCombs wrote:
> I see that we've gotten a dialog going here, but is there a
> sub-committee of people or something that will work on a solution for
> this.  If so I'd like to volunteer my expertise and assist in anyway I
> can in helping the "UI" team for fedora.
>
> On a note as far as using text... What's wrong with having text?  As
> long as it's something that can change according to ones language.  I'm
> sure there is something in the HIG that will tell me, but I can't find
> how that pertains to a "start" button.

Because icons and graphics don't change with your language, only with
your icon theme.  Plus, remaking a logo for every language out there
would be insane.

If we want text, that's great, but we need to get GNOME (and KDE, if
needed) to support a real text label in the main menu icon.  Then it can
be localized/internationalized just like any other text.

> I do think calling it fedora or something cryptic like that wouldn't be
> good.
>
> I can, and don't mind simply posting ideas to the list, but didn't want
> to clog things up.
>
> Trae
>
> (ps. ltns Eric :)
>

> On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 22:30, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Sean Middleditch <elanthis at awesomeplay.com>:
> > > That's not a good idea - that makes a symbol a meaningful part of the
> > > icon which is completely meaningless to people using languages that
> > > don't use latin letters or have the word 'Fedora'.
> > >
> > > As per the GNOME HIG, keep all letters out of icons in all situations -
> > > leave all letters and words to labels that can be easily translated.
> >
> > I concur.  The GNOME people are correct in this.
>

> --
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.