Guides for Fedora Core

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Apr 2 14:24:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> Hi Colon,
>
> > > Just wondering if there are any plans to adapt the Red Hat Linux guides
> > > for Fedora Core.
>
> > This is what the Fedora Docs Project is all about - they have a mailing
> > list too: fedora-docs-list at redhat.com
> >
> > And no, they are creating docs from scratch rather than using the
> > current RHL guides. Further discussion about this should be done at the
> > above mailing list
>
> Ok. Yet another mailing list. But could you explain the rationale behind
> that decision here? The devel list seems an appropriate place to at
> least hold a summary of such decisions in it's archive. With all these
> lists and channels information is fragmented enough as it is.

I guess because it is easier to keep track of the things going on when you
have a list that has < 50 messages a week. Some weeks it has 0. I would
think that things would tend to get lost in the noise on this list.

> I can't find such extensive docs for Fedora yet (howto != guide), so why
> not maintain them until alternatives are available?

Because Red Hat has them licensed in such a way that they cannot be used on
fedora. I forget the exact details but that is the bottom line.

HTH,

Tom