Kernel RPM question: What if...

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Fri Apr 16 17:19:13 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 18:05, Martin Stone wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>What if I wanted to build a kernel RPM for FC1 that was like the existing 2.4.22
>>ones except for being 2.4.26?  Where would I start?
>

> start by downloading the 2.4.26 kernel tarbal and change "22" to "26" in
> the top of the spec for the kernel version.
> But it'll be painful. I've been doing that kind of work for 3 years now
> and I estimate it'd take a week to get a decent kernel out of this.

Ouch.  Certainly I've looked at the spec and entertained thoughts of changing
it... But I don't have a week :-(  What about compiling a vanilla kernel.org
tree, perhaps with just NPTL applied?  Would that have horrible horrible drawbacks?

>>The reason I'm trying to do this is that with FC1 stock kernels I am getting
>>random kernel *freezes* - not panics or even oopses - on multiple machines even
>>when trying the usual frequently recommended "apm=off acpi=off nohlt"
>>recommended incantations.  It's my hope that some kind of bugfix has been
>>applied somewhere along the line that would address this problem, as I can't
>>seem to debug it.
>
> you can try the 2.6 kernel rpms if you want; they're pretty solid
> nowadays...

Yeah, tried them on a couple of machines, saw many more freezes than with 2.4
and then got bit by the NFS kernel oops in 2.6.4 and gave up...