Network Connects Slowly In Kernel 2.6 Using IPv6

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 13:35:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 13:43, Jeff Pitman wrote:

> My current system is an IBM T30 laptop running the following kernels
> under Redhat 9 (sorry i'm not using fc2-test outside of chroot
> environments yet, please forgive me..):
>
> 						Speed Rating (using feels-good(tm) benchmark)
> kernel-2.4.20-28.9 (distro)		nominal
> kernel-2.4.24-1.ll.rh90.ccrma	nominal
> kernel-2.6.2-1.156 (arjan)		slow with IPv6; nominal without
> kernel-2.4.20-30.9 (dag)		nominal
> kernel-2.6.5-1.332 (arjan)		slow only on DNS with IPv6; nominal without
> (had to use links because my mouse and /udev stuff doesn't work yet)
>
> I will be installing fc2-test on another partition quite soon so I can
> test again with my laptop under the latest environment using the tools
> mentioned in the second thread on the fedora-test list.  Sorry if I
> piss anyone off for mentioning running on an old distribution and/or if
> this off-topic.  I hope this email will be useful to those who've yet
> seen the issue and might see it pop up again.

There have been numerous IPV6 & resolver changes in the FC2 glibc, which
will never appear in the one provided with RHL9. For this reason, it's
not really valuable testing unless the problem is also reproducable
under the FC2 glibc. Upgrading the kernel alone will find lots of
little corner cases like this.

	Dave