Network Connects Slowly In Kernel 2.6 Using IPv6

Nils O. Selåsdal NOS at Utel.no
Wed Apr 21 14:37:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:45, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 April 2004 21:16, Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:00, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> > > be obnoxiously slow, both DNS lookups and simple "telnet
> > > www.google.com 80" tests.
> >
> > With ipv6 enabled, the libc resolver will afaik try to
> > resolve hostnames as ipv6 addresses first. For alot of reasons
> > that might take a long time..
> > [...]
> > So perhaps there should be(and maybe there is..) a way to say
> > try ipv4 first in /etc/resolv.conf ?
>
> This is interesting.  However, the first hurdle is something deeper than
> DNS because simple connects using "telnet x.x.x.x 80" takes longer
> with IPv6 enabled.  Editing /etc/modprobe.conf did the trick for me.
Could perhaps strace show where/what calls are taking so long ?
And wether one doesn't get fooled by application bug(e.g. someone
calling gethostbyname with "192.168.0.2" or similar)

--
Nils Olav Selåsdal
System Engineer