Kernel "dead pauses" since 2.6.5-1.332

Aleksey Nogin aleksey at nogin.org
Sun Apr 25 02:25:37 UTC 2004

On 23.04.2004 18:03, Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 10:41, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
>>Twice now - X11 suddenly stops responding, or is extremely slow in
>>responding. The mouse works just fine - so it's not a refresh issue, but
>>the window manager/desktop (gnome) takes forever to respond to clicks.
>>
>>Switching to a virtual console is instantaneous - but there is a delay
>>in log in. But once logged in, the cli is snappy - but the problem
>>persists in X11.
>
> Yeah, I am seeing pretty much the same thing, but it's not localized to
> X11.  Some other random things are seeing "pauses", like setfiles.  And
> I have an ATI Radeon, so at least it isn't a problem with one particular
> graphics card.
>
> At first I thought the behavior was SELinux related, but it still
> happens when I boot with SELinux disabled.  Haven't seen anything in any
> of the logs though.  If I go back a couple of kernels, the problem seems
> to go away.

I am seeing something like this too. The way it looks for me is as if
the hard drive just stops responding - everything that wants disk access
freezes, but everything else keeps working normally. Once in a while the
disk would "unfreeze", I would see a lot of disk activity, and then
another freeze (for a periods varying from a few seconds to couple of
minutes).

These freezes always start when something very disk-intensive is running
(slocate's updatedb, "setfiles check", etc). Quitting Mozilla sometimes
helps get rid of them for a while, in other cases only a reboot makes
them go away (until they come back a few hours later).

This is a major blocker, IMHO.

--
Aleksey Nogin

Home Page: http://nogin.org/
E-Mail: nogin at cs.caltech.edu (office), aleksey at nogin.org (personal)
Office: Jorgensen 70, tel: (626) 395-2907