What makes a production kernel?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Apr 26 07:45:41 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 12:59, Tom Diehl wrote:

> Like it or not if you buy a closed piece of hardware this is what you
> get.
>
> What I fail to see is why people buy this crap from companies and then
> whine on these lists that it does not work. This is just plain stupid.
> Do you really think whining that you screwed up on these lists is going
> to change anything?? PLEASE PLEASE go whine to NVIDIA, or buy from a
> hardware vendor who is interested in supporting open source.

In my case I was kind of screwed into getting an NVidia card.
See - my board with my VooDoo3 died.
Ordered a new board, cpu, etc.

Then the VooDoo3 card would not physically fit in the AGP slot.
They changed that on me - the AGP standard - and it meant I had to get a
new video card - and I didn't really have time to go to a proper PC
outlet, so I got what Wallmart had - and it was NVidia.

Also - keep in mind that Fedora doesn't ship on very many OEM systems.
That means people install it pretty much on PC's that they already have.

It would be nice if there was a way to better coordinate with NVidia
with respect to the NVidia video driver. However - I think that is not
the fault of Fedora

So yes - it's silly to blame Fedora/RH that there kernel does not
support hardware features that they do not have access to the specs to.

But it's also silly to tell the user they bought the wrong card.
The nvidia driver problem will likely be fixed sooner than later, by
NVidia, but they probably won't start work on it until Core 2 is
released.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/