PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Aug 2 19:17:25 UTC 2004

On Aug  2, 2004, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02 Aug 2004 02:30:45 -0300, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The nice thing with this arrangement is that components would have
>> names that people could easily choose whether to download, and they
>> could burn them into CDs however they like.

> Great! an infinite number of possible ways to burn cd images
> incorrectly and nearly impossible for other people to troubleshoot!

Err...  The way to think of these components is as individual CDs,
with the difference that you can burn several of them into a single
media.

I.e., you create an ISO9660 filesystem containing as many of these
components as you want (that will fit a CD) and burn them.

> I think there is also a system memory cost associated to doing it this
> way in the installer.

This is a valid concern.  I'm not sure having to go through the
individual packages and merging them into a single collection of
packages would take significantly more memory than always having the
full package set.