PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 19:41:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:49:20 -0400, Michael Tiemann <tiemann at redhat.com> wrote:
> Do you at least agree that my definition of Extras--the maximal set of
> consistent packages, puts a bound on how out of hand components can
> get?  I.e., there's still a normalizing force to be "in", even if that
> "in" is much larger a circle than core.

Sure yes... Fedora Universe  will be made up of exactly Core+Extras.
No matter how fine grained you want to slice up Core and Extras in to
componentized components.  I'm not even sure we need 'components' at
all, unless there is a distinct advantage in terms of development
organization and work-flow to help package maintainers keep the Fedora
Universe in shape. But I see no reason to advertise that component
concept to the user.  Who cares if 'gnome' and 'kde' and 'emacs' are
seperate components. Its certaintly not clear to me that someone might
want to build an installable alternative to Core that might contain a
few gnome apps with a few kde apps. Building an installable collection
aimed an audience or task should be built up as needed package by
package from the universe, not component by component. My big issue is
making sure we have a manageable set of collections as part of the
Fedora project, so that they see appropriate testing for
installability AND have distinct audiences and purposes if they are to
live inside the Fedora umbrella.  I'm not really keen on the idea of
everyone downstream being able to build custom install mediasets and
call those mediasets Fedora. Maybe based on Fedora or something like
that, but I certaintly want there to be a distinct line between
collections that are managed as part of Fedora and what is created
downstream.   I think there is room in Fedora for several distinct
media sets that draw their updates from the Fedora Universe of
packages.  Though really, we have to wait and see how Extras looks and
tastes before we can really think about the issue of alternative
collections.

-jef