Fedora Extras vs. CLOSED RAWHIDE

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Aug 5 17:35:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:44:13 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> Here's my take on conflict resolution regarding new FE packages:
>
> New packages built against deps in Core development, trickle them down
> to existing releases if painless. If not painless have a discussion
> with the core package maintainers about pushing fixes for existing
> Core releases. If that discussion doesn't end in a fix... the issue is
> dead.. and you use Fedora Alternatives to roll replacement for Core
> packages that potentially break the upgrade path for users who want
> the new packages.

Fedora Alternatives doesn't exist yet unless fedora.us agreed on reopening
the "patches" repository (albeit with a different name) which contained
unofficial upgrade packages for Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core and anything
that depends on them.

--
P.S. If memory serves correctly, the description of Fedora Alternatives on
the Fedora Project "Terminology" page has been updated to be more