Using updates-testing was [Re: Device change for Sil 3112 in latest kernel]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 19:59:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:31:35 -0400 (EDT), Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> wrote:
> As Jesse previously stated it would
> be nice if changes like this were done in conjunction with the next release
> AND documented. At least then we know what is going on.

Personally I'd settle for getting Core developers to actually use the
updates-testing repo
for all proposed updates. Even if the maintainers pushing the
update...in their infinite wisdom..know there are absolutely no
packaging bugs or other problems inherent in the package, having it
available for a few days (even just 1 day) in testing for competent
people in the userbase to use before its pushed for general
consumption wouldn't hurt.

If the newest kernel update had hit updates-testing first... maybe we
could have had fedorafaq.org and fedoranews.org updated BEFORE the
kernel hit updates-released with preventative and recovery steps and
we could have had a note about this change incorporated in the update
annoucement text.

There have also been cases of updates being released that have
dependancy conflicts with other Core packages, making sure updates get
into updates-testing first for feedback should help avoid these
situations as well.   In fact, i should stress that in a future where
Fedora Extras will be more integrated with Core in terms of
development process, its going to be even more important that proposed
updates make it into updates-testing first so users can check for this
sort of dep problem across Core+Extras so packages can be rebuilt in a
consistent manner.

-jef