Broadcasting Annoyances

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 11 19:09:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 09:50 -0400, Chris Geddings wrote:
> If you are launching things from the command line, you could redirect
> STDERR into a log file or /dev/null.
> Depending on exactly which output you are referring to, you may also
> wish to remove any lines in syslog.conf that refer to
>   /dev/console.

The error messages being discussed aren't stderr -- they're kernel
warnings when applications do Bad Things[1].

[1] This particular bad thing I happen to be responsible for -- there is
a test version of cdparanoia at
http://people.redhat.com/pjones/cdparanoia .   .sgio3 is known not to
work perfectly on USB drives, but I think it works ok for everything
else.  I'll probably release another version there sometime later this
week which should work with USB drives as well.

--
        Peter