Broadcasting Annoyances

Stephen J Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Aug 11 20:45:05 UTC 2004

Janina Sajka wrote:
> Am I the only person who's sick and tired of all manner of error
> messages that are being splattered across all open console logins just
> because some programmer wants to do that?
>
> Example: Is it really necessary for ordinary users to get the following
> from cdparanoia:
>
> cdparanoia: Using deprecated /dev/sg mechanism instead of SG_IO on the actual device will also suggest you mig

For most kernel errors, one can edit /etc/sysconfig/syslog and in the
klog section

# Options to syslogd
# -m 0 disables 'MARK' messages.
# -r enables logging from remote machines
# -x disables DNS lookups on messages recieved with -r
# See syslogd(8) for more details
SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0"
# Options to klogd
# -2 prints all kernel oops messages twice; once for klogd to decode, and
#    once for processing with 'ksymoops'
# -x disables all klogd processing of oops messages entirely
# See klogd(8) for more details
KLOGD_OPTIONS="-x -c 1"

That should quiet out a lot of cruft that kernel sometimes prints.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645