UP kernel on smp box ... Why?

Is there any reason to continue to download and install the up kernel
when smp is known to work well on a particular system?

I made some use of the up kernels when first building my dual Opteron
box, but they've just been dead weight and extra effort recently, and
I'm thinking of just ignoring them from now on. Am I wrong to do so?

				Janina