latest kudzu changes

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Aug 17 13:31:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 06:32, Manuel Moreno wrote:
> First of all I think that the whole idea of changing '/etc/fstab' is
> essentially flawed (there are much better alternatives like automount -
> that is kernel/distribution standard- or supermount, etc...)

How are those better?  With either of them, you'd still need to update
some file some where with the options for the mount.  One advantage of
doing it in fstab is that you then have the entry in there permanently,
giving you stable mount points and allowing experienced admins to tweak
the mount parameters for individual devices as needed.

> But, anyway, if we have to bear with it, when are the mount options
> going to be configurable, I'm thinking of 'noatime,nodiratime,sync' for
> usb flash devices and maybe other like 'umask,users' etc for usb ide
> disks, etc.

Makes sense.

> 'updfstab' missed it (there was a patch floating around, however) and I
> hope that the replacement will have them included.
>
> --
> Manuel Moreno <manolo at miconexion.com>
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.