Kill ide-tape

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Tue Aug 17 23:15:33 UTC 2004

On 08/17/2004 07:50:41 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 02:36:27AM +0000, Willem Riede wrote:
> > On 08/16/2004 09:40:37 PM, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > >Guys,
> > >
> > >I'm going to ask Arjan to switch off the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE.
> > >The time for it came long ago, in fact I wish it was off in FC2.
> > >I just forgot about that little turd when we went to 2.6.
> >
> > What do you guys have against tape drive owners? First, for some time
> > already,  ide-scsi is turned off, and now ide-tape too? So nobody with an
> > ATAPI tape  drive can use it conveniently with Fedora?
>
> ide-scsi is on in the rawhide/FC3 proto-kernel now that everyone is happy
> the installer will have migrated old "hda=scsi" type settings away. Do
> you still need ide-tape for anything given ide-scsi ?

I am very happy to hear that. When I looked at the first kernels that came
with FC3T1, I didn't see ide-scsi.ko, but since it's there now, I'm estatic.

And ide-scsi+st (or ide-scsi+osst as appropriate) is way better than the
unsupported ide-tape, so given that the ide-scsi module is distributed,
I fully support the suppression of ide-tape.

Thanks, Willem Riede.