adduser "delay" causing problems in rpm %pre scripts

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Thu Aug 19 13:30:07 UTC 2004

Erik LaBianca wrote:

>I'm running LDAP auth, and I have already tried turning off nscd which
>didn't help.

Now this surprises me, I've also had useradd scriptlet problems (mach
package) that seemed to be caused by a delay between the group being
added and that group becoming visible when the user is then added to it.
Switching off nscd fixed this problem for me (reproducible).

Note that if you try installing the package, it breaks and _then_ you
switch off nscd and try again you may be getting errors due to an
inconsistent state being left by the initial "with nscd on" installation
attempt.

Try removing the package, checking /etc/passwd and /etc/group to make
sure that the user/group is not there, _then_ make sure nscd is off then
reinstall. I've not been able to produce an error with nscd off and
starting from a known good state.

(I'm also using LDAP auth).

Carwyn