upgrade to rawhide report

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 16:38:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 08:56 +0200, Florian La Roche wrote:
> > What NetworkManager does, in essence, is that if you have a wired
> > ethernet link it dhcp's it, and if you don't it lets you choose a
> > wireless essid from any that are available, and also specify the
> > encryption key etc., then dhcp's that. It could be extended to let you
> > provide a static IP config in a similar way to the wireless info.
> > If you plug/unplug the network cable then NetworkManager dynamically
> > moves between wired and wireless. Hopefully I got that right, I'm sure
> > Dan will correct me if not.
>
> This could also be combined with system-config-network or should this really
> go in a separate application?

NetworkManager isn't really an application, it's a daemon. The UI for it
is a panel applet and some dialogs rather than something you launch
explicitly.

We do think this is the right UI for the typical desktop case though, s-
c-network should probably tend more in the direction of sysadmin use
cases.

Havoc