reiser4

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 17:50:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 13:34 -0400, David T Hollis wrote:
> I'm sure the ultimate question is: when/if it makes it to the stock
> kernel, does Fedora begin to support it?  There are those camps that
> feel that RedHat has some agenda against reiserfs3/4 for some reason and
> intentionally crippled it in the past so people wouldn't use it.
> Myself, I doubt that.

I think the real answer is a technical opinion that there's no
compelling reason to have multiple filesystem choices. Each one is
significant extra work to deal with, and it just is not worth it.

The extra features in Reiser are effectively useless for desktop, see
this blog entry for example:
http://log.ometer.com/2004-07.html#28

Maybe Reiser is a bit faster in certain server scenarios, but that's not
enough rationale for pulling the whole thing in.

Still, it's there for people that want it, but I don't personally get
why you'd run it.

Havoc