Re: Name/GenericName

Joshua Eichorn wrote:

So, this is only to workaround shortcomings in GNOME's menuing? AFAIK, KDE has no problems dealing with Name/GenericName.

Read the mailing lists, just concating Name and GenericName for menus doesn't work in many other languages.

I haven't said anything about concatenation.

Otherwise the spec is broke, I don't know what KDE does, maybe have really word names for stuff in some languages.

KDE is user-configurable, to display one of: Name only Name (GenericName) GenericName (Name)

IMO, GNOME should do something similar.

As it is now, you're breaking KDE (or at least making things appear ugly) for the latter 2 cases where Gaim would show up as:
Gaim Instant Messenger (Instant Messenger)
which is no better than the original problem trying to be fixed/solved.

-- Rex