i486 base architecture

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Wed Dec 1 14:18:08 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>So actually that could be a good reason why we should switch over to
>>i486 as base arch?
>>

>for the glibc package... sure ;)
>
>for all other packages... none will use the new instructions afaics

Absolutely agreed, more pain that gain for s/i386/i486/ everywhere.

However -- as always -- the problem is one of perception, and '*.i386.rpm'
signifies something quite different than '*.i486.rpm' no matter what
instructions
are actually used within the package.

Perhaps we need to change the perception in order to lose linux threads
forever.

Again, I know quite well more pain than gain, fixing all the bleeping
scripts
that have embedded i386/* and/or *.i386.rpm, to know 'i486' is gonna break
a whole lot of process.

But perhaps it's time to signify Something Else Instead.

73 de Jeff