Kudzu and automatic detection

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:40:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:49:59 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> I don't know about that, and really I don't much care about unconfiguring
> stuff. My understanding of the original post was that kudzu would try to
> reconfigure the printer on every reboot, which is simply foobared.

thats not what i read.... i would ask you to read the original post
again. The original poster has a situation where they boot at home and
at work.... work has the printer... home does not. I see nothing in
that post that suggest kudzu is asking to remove AND configure the
printer on the same bootup.

> Now, I have seen this a few times on my boxes:
> kudzu: your XYZ have been removed from your system. Remove configuration?
> me: eh, yes?
> kudzu: your XYZ have been added to your system. Configure device?
> me: why, you little...!

You filed a bug about this detailing the specific devices this happens with?
I have ONE device out of seven usb devices that exhibits this
behavior... its a usb scanner... and i have a bug open about it. My
gut tells me this is because my scanner is being seen as both an sg
managed device as well as libusb managed, and kudzu is trying to deal
with the multiple aspects of usb-ness.  But this is not what the
original post is about at all.

> I don't care about some deep technical discussion on why this makes sense,
> becuase it just doesn't.

That's unfortunate since unexpected hardware problems tend to be about
"technical" issues, and it helps immensely if the reporter is open to
working with developers and learning about where the "technical"
problems lie. Hopefully someone else more inclined to discussing the
problems you are seeing will have your hardware will report in on
bugzilla.

> Yes, if you have to do it every time you start your box.
> Imagine if your had to reconfigure your desktop every time
> you started X.

Are you saying that you can't "manually" change the rules kudzu and
hal use? perhaps you just aren't aware of how.

-jef