gnome-vfs2 and howl

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 08:37:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:06:14 +0100, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 15:39 +0800, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I just tried upgrading my version of howl to the latest 0.9.8 by
> > downloading the source and the current SRPM, replacing the appropriate
> > lines and recompiling. All went well but the gnome-vfs2 had a
> > dependancy on libhowl-0.9.6.so.1
> >
> > So downloaded the SRPM for that to see if it was in there or a compile
> > time dep. Its seems its the later as the spec file specificly mentions
> > the >= howl and the associated packages. If I do a 'rpm -q --requires
> > gnome-vfs2' the specific library is mentioned.
> >
> > [root at morpheus i386]# rpm -Uvh howl-0.9.8-1.FC3.i386.rpm
> > howl-devel-0.9.8-1.FC3.i386.rpm howl-libs-0.9.8-1.FC3.i386.rpm
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         libhowl-0.9.6.so.1 is needed by (installed) gnome-vfs2-2.8.2-8.i386
> >
> > So my question is should I be able to upgrade howl to a later version
> > of is gnome-vfs2 dependant on that particular version. If I should be
> > able to should I bugzilla it? I did a quick search and found a similar
> > problems with gamin at bug #140679 but nothing specific to howl.
> >
> > I want a version later than 0.9.6 to fix a problem that shows up in
> > gnomemeeting 1.2.0. For the moment I have just upgraded with a
> > --nodeps, not sure what havoc it'll cause with gnome-vf2 but for the
> > moment aren't actually running X on this box.
>
> Howl 0.9.6 doesn't handle upgrades like that because the library
> filename is "libhowl-0.9.6.so.1". An upgrade would break all apps
> linking to the old version.
>
> I think this has been fixed in later versions of how, but atm you can't
> upgrade without also rebuilding all apps/libs that link to it.

Thanks for that Alexander,

Didn't think it would be that easy :-(

It appears, as far as the rpm dependancies goes, the only one that is
affected is the gnome-vfs2 package. At least as far as my FC3 box is
concerned.

Are there any plans to upgrade howl in either FC3 as a update or in
devel? It has some interesting bugs that affect at least the new
version of gnomemeeting. looks like the library versioning stuff was
fixed in 0.9.8

Cheers
Pete