svn or arch

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Dec 21 16:55:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 13:46 -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> To truly take advantage of a distributed system like
> arch you need use make use of features like branching
> in a heavy way which if frowned upon by cvs.
>
> I suspect we would end up with something like conary
> if we design a build system on top of arch.

I should investigate Conary further.  My understanding though is that
it's a much larger change than what we're discussing (e.g. you can't use
existing .spec files), and while it has some similar goals in some
areas, it isn't exactly the same thing.

In particular, it  focused on maintaining a delta from OS-distributed
binary RPMs and high-level binary RPM management, whereas we're more
discussing simply improving the development process for SRPMs.

Still though, it seems pretty interesting.