why doesn't yum cache anything?

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Fri Dec 31 15:22:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 10:36:29PM -0800, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
>   - Is there some way to make yum cache all that crap?  I'd be

 (speed of yum discussion exceised).

  Related yum question on (lack of?) speed when large number of
  updates to do.

 After doing a fresh install, the first yum update can
 take (for me) hours - this is after I have pre populated
 the local cache (/var/cache/yum) from another just
 installed/updated machine - so no downloads
 to do at all.  The number of updates to be done is of course quite
 large at this point.

 By breaking this update up into a few separate upates

  e.g
  yum update x*;  yum update kern*; yum update g*; yum udpate

  The time taken seems to be very substantially less (human perception
  unfortunatly I have no benchmarks).

  I wonder if there is some inefficiency with the dependency tree
  when the number of updates is large that is reduced by
  hand breaking the updates into smaller chunks.

  regards,

g/